Wednesday, April 11, 2012

PETRONAS Malaysia Grand Prix 2012


Those who follow my Facebook page would know I was one of the 58 grid girls for the PETRONAS Malaysia Grand Prix 2012 which took place at Sepang International Circuit on 23 – 25 March 2012.

Picture credits darrenheath.com

Picture credits formula1onlive.com


I went to the audition with Grace, with high hopes of sealing the deal but as I (attempted to) waltz into the Petronas Twin Towers lobby, trying my best not to trip on my heels, my confidence shrunk. There were so many beautiful girls in killer heels, all dolled up to impress the panel of judges. I called Alex and he said “This job is like a bonus to girls who are in this fulltime, so expect to see experienced girls in the audition. Don’t worry, just go for the experience”.

My look on the audition day


Anyway, to cut the story short, my confidence that day went on a roller-coaster ride but at the end of the 6-hour audition, I PASSED!! When it comes to this, yes I’m a little jakun. I have never done such freelance jobs before so I was really thrilled when I got chosen to be a grid girl for F1!!


On Friday evening, we gathered at Petronas Twin Towers lobby to board the bus to Pullman Putrajaya Lakeside Hotel, our home for the weekend. Meals were provided and we get to stay in some sort of a junior suite, naisee! I was with 3 other girls – Wan Li, Ancy and Renee. Really sweet .. and young. I was the oldest among them and easily among the oldest grid girl this year -_-“


This was our uniform on the day before the grand finale. The huge silver ribbon belt made us looked like well-wrapped presents to be given away. Below, was our uniform on the last day. I had to get up at 3 am to get this retro-cum-futuristic look done. While many loved this look on me, some thought I looked better in lighter make up. I couldn’t agree more ;)


Some friends and colleagues asked, “What’s your job scope like?”, but there isn’t much to tell, really. The standby time is C-C-CRAZY it took up about 90% of our time at Sepang. The remaining 10% we spent posing for hundreds of big-ass cameras, holding flags / boards, marching on / off the tracks, waving our hands to people, and more posing. Some photographers even took photos of our butts wtf.

Picture credits darrenheath.com

Picture credits race-press.com


And because the standby time was really long, we were constantly stuffed with food. Faris from Tangerine Models kept giving us water to drink so we wouldn’t faint on track under the scorching sun (lesson learnt from past experience). So in that 90%, our mouths were really busy chewing, gulping liquids and gossiping.

Picture credits totallycoolpix.com


By the way, if you don’t know yet, Ferrari driver Fernando Alonso won the race this year. Sauber Sergio Perez (left) came in 2nd and McLaren Lewis Hamilton, 3rd.

Our journey back to KLCC on 25 March was a disaster. The traffic was ridiculously massive the bus took more than 2 hours to get to KLCC. By the time I reached home, I was half dead with inch-thick make up plastered on my face since 3am. And I still have to get up at 7am for work the next day.

One of the girls asked, how did my virgin experience go. As much as I hated the ridiculously long standby time, long hours of make up on my skin, and tiring journey; I realized I actually enjoyed my weekend. I made a few new friends, gained some new experience (and regretted for not getting involved when I was much younger), and learnt their beauty secrets. Ah, that awkward moment when a 26-year old girl needed beauty tips from a 21-year old.

Oh well. Now that I’m done with the event, I look forward to that big, fat moolah coming my way :D

No comments: